Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Welcome back to Reality

Three months ago, I made the best decision of my life.

Three months ago, I began to live the life I always dreamed of.

Photograph by Kassidy. One of the many beautiful souls I encountered in Europe.
As cheesy as this blog is going to be, I really did come back a changed person. When they said studying abroad would change you, I never believed it until now.

Today I went to eat lunch with an old friend of mine. I walked into the hotel where I could think back to freshman year of high school when everyone came here for lunch. I looked around and noticed that nothing changed. I knew who was going to eat what, at what time, where they were going to sit, etc. Being from a small town you realize that time doesn't change much. Everyone in my town knows one way of living and they've stuck to it for years. That's what makes me so different than the people I've grown up with. I hear, "I'm going to come back to where I was raised." over and  over again. Sometimes I wondered if there was something wrong with me or why I have this urge to leave Shelby, or Kearney, or even Nebraska.

Three months ago, I realized there's nothing wrong with me. I just haven't found my home. During these three months I learned my heart was never in the right place. I learned my desire for something new and adventure was normal. The drive to see more and experience more was my drug.

When I left Olomouc, my heart was crushed. It was the first step of my journey back home.
         Our first stop was Dublin, Ireland. WOW. What a beautiful country. I've seen a lot of amazing things in my journey but as I rode on this boat and looked above at the Cliffs of Moher everything else was so simple. If I could have an extra week in Europe I would've spent it in Ireland. As I stood at the top of the cliffs I soon realized that I've seen some of the most beautiful creations on earth. As many don't get to see nearly half of what I've seen.
Standing at the Cliff of Moher

Cliffs of Moher
Stalos beach in Chania, Greece.
After Dublin, Ireland we set onto our last adventure, Greece. I've been to 12 different countries in 3 months. About 21 different cities and an unlimited amount of beaches. No trip has compared to my last 10 days in Greece. From Chania to Mykonos the time I had here was beyond amazing. No amount of pictures could capture the absolute beauty behind Greece. The gals and I rented some fourwheelers once and just toured the island of Mykonos ourselves.  As we got lost in the market area, got unlimited honks by the local somehow we ended up at this abandoned lighthouse. This lighthouse overlooked the entire island. From this rock I stood on I could clearly see the surrounding islands, the perfectly blue ocean, the sky wasn't so clear as if I was standing in clouds.
Mykonos, Greece.
Moments like these, I can't even put into words. I can't explain the beauty. I can't explain the memories.

It's been a week since I've been back and I'm no longer the shiny trophy. Everyone that wanted to see took me out for lunch. So now reality begins, I have to start adjusting to everyone again. Now I go back to facing everything I ran away from 3 months ago. I think the hardest part is not running away to some other country for the weekend when things get too much. The hardest part is controlling the traveling bug that doesn't know how to stay in one place for long periods of time. Or starting a routine. Work. Work. School. Work. The perfect life I had for 3 months is now just a chapter in my journal. During my time away, I really missed my family and friends. But by the end of the trip I could FaceTime some friends and my mom and no longer be home sick. I learned that distance only makes the heart grow founder. I'm a week in and I got see all my best friends but I'm missing my traveling junkies more than ever. Snap chatting everyday and keeping our group message going is great but I would rather be taking on a new country with them. Jessica, Hannah, Lydia, and Aubrey became my family. Through the ups and downs like any group of girl we drove each other insane but we always had each other's back. I know that we all share the same memories so when I'm feeling homesick I give them a call so we can reminisce on our European adventures.  

I gained more knowledge overseas then I ever would in a classroom. I learned more about about myself in more ways than one. Most importantly I learned how to be happy. I know who I am and where I belong. I can't wait for the day I go back where I truly belong.

"We must take adventures in order to know where we truly belong."







No comments:

Post a Comment